- 125 g butter,
- olive oil,
- 1 free-range chicken approx. 2kg,
- 2 cloves garlic peeled plus extra for croutons,
- 20 pickled onions, peeled but unpickled,
- 200 g smoked streaky bacon (poitrine fume) cut into chunks,
- splashes cognac,
- 2 bottles good-quality red wine,
- 1 bouquet garni,
- 250 g button mushrooms,
- 1 baguette, for croutons
In a heavy-based casserole dish, heat half the butter and some oil and brown the chicken with the garlic, onions and bacon.
Pour a good swig of cognac, over the chicken and flame (be careful). Stir, then add the red wine and the bouquet garni. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil and simmer very gently for about 3 hours, until the chicken is done.
Just before serving, fry the mushrooms in the rest of the butter until golden and add them to the casserole.
Slice the baguette, rub the slices with a cut half-clove of garlic, sprinkle some olive oil on and toast under the grill. Serve on top of the coq au vin.